onsdag 5 mars 2014

Batman: Arkham Knight announced

Yesterday (March 4th 2014), we finally got the news of a new game in the famous Batman: Arkham video game franchise. It's called Batman: Arkham Knight. The game, created by the British Rocksteady Studios, will be the forth and final game in the series. It will also be the first game in the series where players can control the Batmobile.

I have many thoughts regarding this. Firstly, I'm sad that Rocksteady has decided to conclude the series with Arkham Knight, although I understand that it's better to end a series perfectly than badly. Secondly, I'm glad that Rocksteady has to make Gotham City bigger and the streets wider (compared to the ones in Batman: Arkham City) in order to make room for the Batmobile. Thirdly, I'm still disappointed that sexism is still present in the game - I'm thinking of Harley Quinn's provocative outfit.

Although many people - including my countrymen - love and praise Batman: Arkham City, I'm not impressed with the game. Although Rocksteady intended to create the second game about "Batman in Gotham", Arkham City (I'm talking about the prison with the same name of the game) feels small. The prison isn't meant to be large, but since it consists of an older part of Gotham with famous locations like Crime Alley, Gotham Cathedral and Ace Chemicals, I think it should be larger than that. And the streets are narrow like a small suburb! This doesn't feel like a former part of a big city at all.

Regarding the sexism in the Arkham-franchise, I fail to understand why Rocksteady has chosen not to re-use Harley's classic outfit introduced in Batman: The Animated Series. While the male characters are fully dressed, Harley (like in the previous games) still have some parts uncovered - you can see that in the trailer at the end of this post.

In Arkham City, I would say that both Catwoman and Harley Quinn had the most impractical and sexist outfits. Poison Ivy is a "logical" exception since her appearance was that of a "naked-goddess" similar to Aphrodite.

These are some of my many thoughts of the franchise. Now please enjoy the YouTube-trailer of Arkham Knight:


Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar